This is a “Call to Action”. A vote in the House is likely tomorrow. Referring to Grown Here Not Flown Here you all know about the food recalls, salmonella infected tomatoes and spinach, recalled beef, etc., etc. Without exception those problems originated from the huge mega food producers. That’s why over 70% of all antibiotics consumed in this country are by farm animals where conditions are crowded and unsanitary and hotpots for disease and contamination.
Well once again CONGRESS WANTS TO PUNISH THE INNOCENT AND PROTECT THE GUILTY.
It is not small farms and businesses that were the source of contaminated food scares, but rather the processing facilities of large corporations. Yet this bill will only drive small farms out of business, which means reduced competition and higher prices in an already-bad economy.
- authorizes warrantless searches of farms
- imposes a $500 tax (or “registration fee”) of all operators in all steps of the food production chain
- imposes civil penalties up to $20,000 per individual for each violation
- creates a food trace-back system, burdening farms and small businesses with reams of new paperwork
- empowers the Dept. of Health and Human Services to micro-manage the raising and harvesting of crops
I think we all love our local farmer’s markets and appreciate the effort they go to in providing good, fresh, safe and healthy food to our communities. Think what this bill will do to them. Let’s send enough messages to frighten Congress and kill this bill!
Now Get Off Your Butts!
Bookmark this blog, use it to make your voice be heard & share it.