Imagine looking forward to the holidays. Taking time off, maybe having mainland friends or relatives home for Christmas, returning college kids -whatever.
Even if you voted for the further destruction of the country, culture & our American freedom (pity the fools), this annual holiday foray of fun and frolic for President and his entourage has got to be wearing thin for the residents of Kailua.
For 20 days when most island residents are looking forward to time off, laying in the sun, enjoying the sand and surf everyone living in the area will be disrupted by snarled, blocked traffic and restricted access to the beaches and local haunts. You have to know Kailua is a small town with many 1-way streets and two lane roads, and few alternate routes. So you’re stuck. But no worry brah, just leave for work an hour early.
Then there’s the cost estimated to be $4 Million of taxpayer dollars:
- Air Force One (X 2 should Obama feign interest in the fiscal cliff and not be able to come on the same flight as the family like during the debt-ceiling “crisis”)
- C-17 cargo aircraft transporting limos, helicopters and other support equipment
- 22 official vehicles (minimum)
- Housing for Secret Service, Coast Guard and Navy Seals in nearby & adjacent oceanfront rental properties
- Accommodations for staff & the Press Corp at a plush Waikiki hotel (at least 25 miles away) gas & rental cars for all of them
- Non-reimbursed cost to local taxpayers for police overtime ($250,000), traffic detail and security.
- 24-hour (on call) ambulance service paid for by the City & County of Honolulu (estimated at $10,000).
I’m just glad I don’t live in Kailua any more -and I hope (Hope-Nope-Dope) they don’t discover the Big Island any time soon!
~just a blogger (fightin’ like a girl)