Yes, that’s right ex-Speaker of the House John Boehner (affectionately known to me as Boner because he keeps managing to screw us over) is entitled and will take advantage of a little know perk established 40 years ago according to ABC News. Boner gets a taxpayer-funded office anywhere in the United States for up to 5 years and can hire 3 assistants with salaries in excess of $100,000 each. This is why we’re broke! Both parties are corrupt when they make absolutely NO effort to do away with this kind of waste.
Former Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., spent about $1.5 million running his post-speaker office between 2008 and 2012. Hastert, who pleaded guilty recently to evading federal bank reporting laws, resigned from Congress in 2007.
“No statutory restrictions exist on the cost, type, or location of a former Speaker’s office,” wrote Matthew E. Glassman in a Congressional Research Service report from May. Boehner could pay his three aides salaries of up to $158,000, $133,000 and $116,000 for 2015, Glassman noted.
- Medicare practice leads to higher costs, Cost: $5.0 billion
- Identity thieves file bogus tax returns, Cost: $4.2 billion (at least)
- States taking advantage of a Medicaid provider tax loophole, Cost: $4.0 billion
- Golf club testing & elementary school experiments on the International Space Station, Cost: $3.0 billion
- Food stamp fraud, Cost: $3.0 billion
- Exploding claims of sleep apnea at the VA, Cost: $1.2 billion
- Five decades of controversy for the Job Corps, Cost: $1.7 billion
- Pentagon spending $1 billion to destroy $16 billion in ammunition, Cost: $1.0 billion
- Missile defense system misses the target, Cost: $998 million
- Department of Defense scraps 16 planes, Cost: $468 million
Throw all the bums out! And BTW, we should pray for more government shut downs it means the less damage they can do.
Aloha, Mikie ~just a blogger (fightin’ like a girl)
~Psst, tired of politics? I‘ve recently returned from a road-trip so Check out Travel in the Categories drop down menu (right side panel) for my blogs posted from interesting locations during my travel adventures.