Are all federal programs and federal spending bad? Of course not. But federal spending needs to be tied more closely to the Enumerated Powers & Duties of the Constitution.
- Levy taxes and pay the federal debt
- Provide for the common defense
- Coin money (not print it at their pleasure!) and standardize the value of currency
- Regulate copyrights and patents
- Establish federal courts lower than the Supreme Court
- Establish Bankruptcy laws
- Initiate all bills for raising revenue (House only)
But our taxes are sky-high and here are some reasons why:
- More and more people are tapping into entitlement programs while the number of households paying NO federal income taxes has grown to around 47%.
- Cell phones paid for by the federal government?
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner provided to all students in 13 states? The Nanny state is not only killing American tax dollars, it’s destroying American families.
- Paying farmers huge amounts to grow or not grow certain crops? Let the market determine what a farmer chooses to grow based on who will pay him a fair price to do so. Look how subsidies to farmers for corn affect childhood obesity.
- Unfunded mandates have got to go to. It’s unfair and unrealistic to expect the states to pay for every new law or regulation that is handed down by the feds. The tiniest new law generates huge bureaucracies.
- Giving money to countries who will never repay it or who use it against us. Saudi Arabia comes to mind. They accept our hand-outs (jets and military gear) yet still want us to do their dirty work (take Iran, the neighborhood bully), all the while funding radical Madrassas all over Pakistan and Afghanistan whose students goal is to kill us.
And the deficit proposal recently proposed by the bipartisan commission did not even propose to cut spending, only to reduce the rate of spending increases. It’s like ‘Prezbo’ freezing federal pay. Nice gesture, but don’t stop there. Those things will add up (ever say, wow how’d I spend that much? when looking at your monthly CC bill?), but it’s time for some heavy duty spending cuts too. Kill me now or drag it out.